Thursday, April 17, 2014

Is This Really Sping Fling?

After being so disappointed at PODS, you can say that I was a little anxious to get back out there and throw my discs in a competative setting again. Still over the past few weeks it has become clear that something is not the same in my disc golf game. Sure, my bag has changed a little bit from last season, but there is no reason I should be playing this poorly. There is no reason why the discs I am throwing should honestly make any difference at all. But, I have been thinking about drastic measures and have quite literally thought that it might be about time for a wholesale change of discs in my bag. But first, it was time to go out and help with the Am side of the local Spring Fling tournament.

This year Spring Fling was held at Jellystone DGC. I believe this is the first sanctioned tournament held at Jellystone, but certainly not the first time for Spring Fling. Spring Fling was the first tournament that I played in the state of Colorado. Spring is a glorious time of year for Colorado. It is almost like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Helping on the Am day was so much fun. I enjoyed watching people play and play quite well. I enjoyed not having the pressure to make the shot. I enjoyed being able to spend my time helping people in hopes that their day might be a little less stressful. The weather was perfect, I was in shorts and disc golf was happening. Hats off to my buddy Kyle who finished second in Advanced with two nice rounds.

Then came the Pro day. And being that I am now playing int he Open division for all events outside of Am Nats and Am Worlds, it was my turn. Could the weather be nice? Lets just say I was glad to have my snow tires on to get to and from the course. The morning was wet, but the snow didn't stick. The afternoon was super windy and saw the snow start to pile up. It was a joy to play with Joel in the first round. Joel is a guy I met playing out at La Mirada before I ever moved back to Colorado. He was out there for a funeral and we met eachother on the course and had a rather enjoyable round. Joel has always been a good friend and someone to say hello to me and offer me advice. I needed it in the middle of the first round as I was not playing as well as I had hoped. I was the only player on my card to shoot over par.

In the second round I wnjoyed playing with Jack. Jack is a kid you are going to want to remember. He is a very good player and if he keeps up with the game, he will be big. Then again I could say that about Eagle too, but Eagle hasn't begun to play in many big tournaments yet. Jack went to the Memorial this year as part of the large Colorado contingent and did quite well in advanced. I was one stroke worse in the second round but considering how the wind picked up, this was no real surprise.

This tournament did absolutely nothing to convince me that I am doing anything close to right just yet with my disc golf game this year. I feel like I have lost confidence and even my putting, which is normally strong, has let me down as of late. Thankfully I really didn't have a meltdown at the end of the last round as I have the last two tournaments. Mentally I stuck with it at the end of both rounds. I am very proud of myself for that. What I lack right now is simply confidence. I am not sure where it is going to come from but I am willing to try just about anything. The lesson learned is simply that confidence is important. I had a blast and cannot wait long to get back out there. The good news is that based on my schedule it will be not time at all and the tournaments just keep coming one after the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment