Friday, November 7, 2014

Winter Warriors X

So, last Saturday was the start of Winter Warriors X. The yearly event runs for 13 weeks in an effort to raise as much money for the Food Bank of the Rockies as possible. Last year we were just short of $10,000 raised and the bar has been set even higher this year.

For me personally, this has become a great opportunity to have fun and keep the game moving forward through the cold winter when I am less motivated to get out and play. Sure this off season I am planning (yes, still in the planning stages) of staying in shape and working to improve my game, but this will help me get out and play. I may have rather high expectations as well. See, last year I finished second overall in the standings with only Rob Nichols, the multiple time champion of the event, ahead of me.

With one week down, I am not where I want to be in the overall standings, but I played poorly in the first week and made some bad decisions in the mental game. Get back to having fun and working on the game. That is what I have to tell myself moving forward. Additionally, it isn't like doing well helped so much last year with a rather down year as far as tournaments are concerned. But then again, that is just a poor excuse and rationalization as to why the the score at the end really doesn't matter.

I am certainly looking forward to week two and beyond. There are some good courses on the schedule and I know I will have the chance to improve my game. The big picture is becoming a better player and using the opportunity to raise money for a great cause to do just that. It is not just about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment