Monday, September 30, 2013

Johnny Roberts: Memories of a Man I Wish I Had Known

This past weekend was the 2013 version of the Johnny Roberts Memorial Disc Golf Tournament. The 20th time this tournament has been played. I know I have missed one since I moved to Colorado but this is another one of those tournaments that you play in simply because of what it is. I honestly wish I could have known Johnny Roberts as he seems to have been the player I wish I could be. It is all about fun. Every shot that goes closer to the basket is good. And before you start you get to howl like a wolf. I have been frustrated playing disc golf and I have literally forgotten about the glory of the game. But Johnny was one of those players who always kept things in perspective and knew how to have fun and how to encourage others to do the same.

As for the tournament, I first have to give a shout out to Tom, Ponto and the rest of the gang that helped run this tournament. I was once again reminded of just how much work it takes to pull of a top notch tournament. The courses they used for this tournament this year are quite possibly the three best in the state of Colorado. Saturday included rounds at Beaver Ranch and Bailey disc golf courses. Beaver Ranch has newly poured cement tee pads on every hole. Bailey was the best I have ever seen it. So much work was put into this tournament and it was clear. In addition to that all you had to do was look at the payout and you would know. There was so much added cash that it felt like more than a simple b-tier tournament.

I was once again playing in the Open division and had the goal of beating or tying at least 20 people including myself. I did not accomplish this. I was once again on a card with Joe Rovere, the top rated player in the state, and this was good as my previous two rounds with him were both rated over 1000 (sadly the ratings dropped a few points since I posted about them as milestones). The first round at Beaver Ranch was not so bad minus a couple of holes where I made a few mistakes. I had a couple of 5's that were tough. I also had a couple of really good holes. I was able to take a par 4 on a hole with a brand new basket position that was over 600' away and had huge elevation change down and then back up with lots of trees in the way on the way back up. I took a three on another hole that was not so kind to Joe. I also was able to throw at least one perfect thumber which gave me CTP on a hole that I would not expect this. After finishing with my second 5 of the round I was rather disappointed.

The second round was a lot of fun as well, but not what I had hoped for. This became rather evident as the bad bounces started to stack up. On one of the holes that gives me a serious advantage over other players I had my birdie putt hit the rim of the basket and then roll 70' or so down a hill forcing me into a bogey on the hole. I also had a few putts that hit plenty of chains and then fall to the side of the basket on the ground. Still there were some great shots like my drive with my new unLace from Vibram on hole 1 that somehow made its way near the basket to hole 4. If you were looking at simple distance from the tee this one traveled over 600' by my estimation as my second shot was nearly 90 degrees back to the basket that is over 700' from the tee.

The third round on Sunday at Colorado Heights University in Denver was just a further example of bad bounces and lessons learned. My putting was off a bit and I missed several putts that I should not have missed. I had one putt hit dead center and bounce back out, likely because the chains were slightly out of place. My confidence was then shaken a bit and I had a few more missed putts, either high, low or slightly off to the side. I was still able to get a birdie on a hole with a new pin position that I had yet to birdie. So, you know, there was always good with the bad. I am choosing to remember the good shots and work on the things that did not go my way.

The biggest lesson learned is to try and find a way to really embody the spirit of Johnny as much as possible. I can often remember during the rounds times when I was not doing this and ultimately it got me down and kept me from really enjoying the moment. How in the world did I let that happening playing on these courses? They are such incredibly beautiful courses and they are so much fun to play. It really shouldn't even be close to possible not to enjoy every moment. I also learned that you cannot let the bad bounces get to you. Things happen and sometimes it just isn't your day or weekend. It really isn't your fault and the frustration only leads to more mistakes. I have also learned just hoe important it is to know what baskets you are playing on. You need to know what to check for before you putt to make sure you give yourself the best possible outcome and the smallest chance on getting a bad bounce. You can't think about that log that kicked your shot well over 200' off course. This really is a fun game.

Next up is States back in the am advanced division. Lets hope I can fix my mind and my game in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment