Sunday, December 30, 2012

Goals For 2013

Since we are less than an hours away from New Years Eve here in Colorado I figured it was about time to post my overall goals for Disc Golf in 2013. I am not really sure if I know what all my goals for the year are but we'll see what happens in the next few minutes as I write this post.

1. Have More Fun - I think I tend to be really hard on myself and I so strongly desire to see myself improve that ultimately I kill myself mentally. I recently completed a training course for my job in Child Care and have realized that Disc Golf has become more like work than my own job. In general I do not think that is a bad thing, but I really need to learn to be more like a kid again and play for the sake of playing. It is not about winning, it is about learning. It is not about the end result, it is about the process.

2. Contribute More To The Growth Of The Sport - I have been developing grand plans as far as this is concerned, but I think this is something that will really help me with my first goal. Last season my best Disc Golf tournaments came around the time I was teaching kids at the school I worked at how to play the game. I would like to help out in the local club I am a member of to make sure we are taking opportunities to help grow the sport in this way. I am also hoping to sit down with a local parks department to discuss the possibility of getting a Championship calibut course put in. There is still some more leg work to be done with this but I think it is a very real possibility.

3. To Qualify For Am Nationals - Finally, a goal that can only be achieved by playing in Disc Golf Tournaments. Based on my plans, I should have at least three opportunities to make this happen. I was rather close once last year and rather far away in the second opportunity that I had. Am Nats is the biggest Am event outside of Worlds and I had a blast this past year at Worlds so I can only imagine how much fun Am Nats will be.

4. To Finish Better At Am Worlds Than I Did In 2012 - This one is pretty straight forward. Better than 207th. It seems like it should be an achieveable goal.

5. To Win A Tournament In Advanced - I am sure there is a local tournament that I can get hot for and somehow pull out a win.

6. To Improve My Rating By 20+ Points - This is perhaps the toughest goal of the bunch right there along with qualifying for Am Nats. I am surrently rated 915 and 20 more points would put me at 935, which would mean that I officially would have to play advanced and could not drop down to intermediate if I so chose.

7. To Qualify For Pro Worlds in 2014 - A lot of things have to happen for this to occur. My plan for starting to play more pro events will be determined by when and how many wins I can come up with in Advanced this year. If I win a C-Tier event, my plan would be to play in the Pro division for all C-Tier events moving forward. If I win a B-Tier, then play pro in all B and C-Tier events moving forward. It takes 500 points in events that I play pro in to qualify for Pro Worlds. This is definately the goal that has to see a lot of things fall in place but I think it is entirely possible, especially if I can get an early win in 2013.

8. To Look Back At 2013 And Say, "Wow, I Improved So Much This Year!" - Of course it all the other goals happen there will be no way that I will not be able to say this.

Alright, that is it. Here's to a year of Happy Discin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment