Monday, April 15, 2013

2013 Glass Blown Open: Learning In More Than One Way

Oh man, I could go on and on about this tournament. What an incredible experience. And it all happened so fast and I am not sure if I am going to be able to get everything in here.

First, the whole point in playing the GBO this year was to get a few rounds in on the courses that will be used for Am Worlds this summer. If I got there and palyed the one round challenge at Peter Pan and then all three rounds of the GBO I would get to play 4 our of 5 courses that will be used for Am Worlds. It was really a win win situation for me.

The drive from Colroado to Kansas was interesting because we were literally driving through a snow storm. We got stopped along the way in Burlington, CO and had to spend the night because of adverse weather conditions on I-70 in Kansas. The good news is that we left a day early.

After finally making it to Kansas, we went straight to check in where I was handed the single best players pack I have ever gotten at a tournament. Two discs, both brand new releases in premium plastic. A brand new travel bag. A wind breaker designed for activity. A dri-fit Tee Shirt. And plenty of local coupons and information. I was incredibly impressed at how the sity of Emporia really got behind this tournament. No matter where we went in the town, everyone knew about disc golf and was curious as to why we would all travel so far to their little small town just to paly a tournament.

Oh, I also made it to the Dynamic Discs store in Emporia and to be honest, it is the single most impressive disc golf store I have ever been in. So much selection and so much like a realy store. Literally wow. Oh, and Emac was there to help me. Ha!

The one round challenge was fun. Well perhaps it would have been better if my practice was actually how I played during the round. I had some great holes in warm up and then found a way to not even get close during the round. Blah. Peter Pan is a very fun course though. Probably the most technical course in Emporia. Still some good length to a few holes.

The palyers meeting and post players meeting dinner where a highlight of the trip as well since I was hanging out with a large portion of the Colroado contingent that made the trip out. I really love the Colorado Disc Golf Community and to be able to have our little moment sitting near eachother for the palyers meeting and then getting dinner afterwards just reminded me of how much I like these people. Team Colorado!

My first round was at The Country Club. Long, stay in bounds make a putt. My second round was at Municiple. Long, stay in bounds, make a putt. My last round was at Jones East. Interesting, good mix of length, make sure to give yourself a putt. I had some great shots and I had some bad shots. I played solid rounds at the Country Club and Joens East. I had a little toruble at Municiple, which in the long run kinda stinks because that is the course I am scheduled to paly twice at Am Worlds. But, remember that this trip was designed to be a learning experience.

While I did a fair amount of learning as to what the courses were like, the bigger learning experience came as the wind became more and more of a factor throughout the weekend. Saturday was tough because I spent most of the round trying to figure out the wind while watching even my best putts hit chains and not stick. I had mroe OB shots early in the round than I care to admit to and I couldn't figure out what in the world I should be throwing at these baskets. While playing in the wind is no easy trick and even several good shots can go for naught with one bad shot on a hole, I think I am starting to figure it out. In the long run I believe this is going to make me a better disc golfer. The wind is nothing to be afraid of, it is something to understand. Throw discs that you can trust and leave the others behind. By my last round at Jones East, I was basically throwing one of three discs off the tee. There were a couple of others here and there, but basically one of three discs. I didn't throw them all perfectly but by the end of the round I was confident in those discs. And they were not the discs I was most confident with coming into the tournament either. Wind changes things.

Always be prepared to make adjustments based on the circumstance you encounter during a round. No plan, no matter how detailed it is, will suffice during a round of disc golf. Even that course you have played more than any other will find a way to give you something new and unexpected. Weather and more specifically wind conditions can change things, but when you have taken the time to learn how to throw in various different conditions, there is really no excuse as to why you can't score exceptionally well in all conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment