Thursday, April 4, 2013

303 Am Championships

For the second tournament in a row, I have managed to finish in the spot that gets the last payout. That of course is only half the story of the 303 Am Championships which took place the one weekend we had to have a blizzard in Denver.

When you show up to a tournament and your biggest concern is making sure your car is going to stay as warm as possible usually means you are crazy. But that was literally my thoughts as I look at a little less than a foot of snow on the ground prior to the first round of my second tournament of the year. The good news is that by popular vote and the discretion of the TD everyone decided that playing one round, rather than two, was a wise choice. That beings said, I am certain I would have done better overall if we had played two rounds on Saturday.

Considering the conditions I played much better than I expected. Sure, I would still have loved for my score to have been lower than it was but I feel like I made some good putts that I would have not made before and that my decision making process was a lot better than it has been as often I found myself simply working to get a three rather than take the risk and end up much worse. This is telling me two things. First, the putting practice is paying off. I am not sure but I am begining to be a believer in a little bit everyday makes a big difference. Second, my mental game is begining to become refined. When conditions are tough you have to adjust and not worry about what score you think you should be able to achieve on a given course. I am begining to think that these are really the two most important parts of disc golf, especially as it comes to playing tournaments. These are really the two biggest lessons I learned an will take away from this tournament.

On a last note, I was really impressed with the way Kyle at Phenix Disc Sports ran this tournament and the adjustments he made on the fly as it concerns the weather. I would also like to give a shoutout to my friend Ian who ended up winning the tournament, nice shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment