Friday, May 23, 2014

303 Predictions Became A Mental Block

So maybe I really was sick and maybe is made sense to predict that things would not go so well. Perhaps I was so sick that it really didn't matter how I played. Or perhaps it was a mental thing that became a self fulfilling prophecy. Needless to say, as much fun as I did have this past weekend playing in this years version of the 303 Open, I played horrible. It literally was like I was learning the game all over again and had no clue what my body was about to do.

The tournament itself was a very well run tournament. Kyle has been refining the way he does things over the past couple of years and is really getting things dialed in. This tournament is his baby and one I am sure that he would like to see become a national tour event or perhaps just something as well respected as Glass Blown Open. Playing four rounds and three different courses on a single piece of property took some doing. Then combine that with the fact that there were 144 people out there to play and you might imagine logistics could easily become an issue. But things ran smoothly and even the short courses were fun to play. Hats off to Kyle and all the helpers he had at this event. It really made a difference.

Friday I was literally wondering if I would even be able to stand for an entire round of disc golf, let alone a round on the monster or championship layout. There are so many holes that can simply hand you untold numbers of strokes. With my parents there to hold me up if needed I was actually able to put together a descent round for a bad round. Things actually were going fairly well until the last two holes where I took a 6 and an 8. Sure both holes were listed as par 4's but lets be honest that means that I should have had a 4 on both of them and that was not the case.

Saturday should have been two under par rounds but while still being sick I was not able to accomplish that task on the origional layout course on this property. That was sure disheartening. I did however accomplish an under par round the second round while playing with The Chad and Chris on the bottom card while were were all striving to just have some fun. I don't think I was having as much fun as I should have been having, but I got really serious for some reason. And of course it was frustrating to be making mistakes that I do not normally make. Still my best round of the tourney.

Sunday brought the lack of my parents and the return to the monster layout. With nothing to loose but being in last place I went for more and pushed for more than I should have early and it cost me. It ultimately cost me finishing above last place. When everyone else was shooting better. Me and one other guy shot worse and battled for last place which I handed him in the middle of the round with bad up shots and failed putt attempts late. Oh well.

I learned here and at Grateful that playing with a bug in the system just does not work. I was finally smart enough to go to my doctor, cough in his face, and get some meds to hopefully fix that problem before getting on an airplane to go play disc golf. I also learned that I can still mentally mess myself up and being sick does not allow me to think clearly. In fact I think I revert to all the old problems that held me back for so long. In the midst of this I realized that I needed to play in The Chad's fundraiser tournament this coming weekend in order to simply get my mind right and back to having fun. I still haven't played much this week as being sick got worse after getting better. Lets just hope the meds really do work.

Rodnoc is next. I am looking forward to some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment