Thursday, May 8, 2014

Discs, Lightrail and Cinco De Mayo (Well, Almost)

Eventually, after deciding to look at switching the discs in my bag there had to come a point in time when I would play my first sanctioned tournament. There had to be a point where I would find out if the rating would survive, implode or thrive with new discs and the process of learning them. It just so happened that the inaugural Cinco De Mayo Meltdown would be that tournament. In its first year this tournament was held at Paco Sanchez DGC, aka Lakewood Dry Gulch Park DGC. This is a course that I have only played a few times as it is not in the best part of town and was laid out right over the top of many well used walkways. While this feature of the design is really poor the challenge of the course is quite high. Additionally the TD, in his first time being a TD, allowed for a course layout that would provide even more challenge. Combining some holes, using some temp tee pads and generally making the course difficult.

For some reason, this was one of the most physically demanding tournaments that I have ever played. Or at least it felt that was at the time. One person used their GPS and estimated that we walked about 14 miles to play just two rounds at this course. The course plays through a gulch with some steep hills as well making the walk entail more elevation change than some other courses. There was lots of waiting going on as well as there are some holes that could just not avoid a backup and there were some holes where you really had to take advantage of every second there wasn't a pedestrian in the way. Certain aspects of this can simply not be avoided and with all that trouble I have to give big props to Justin, the TD, for running what turned out to be a very fun tournament.

In the first round, I started out more nervous that I have ever been for a tournament in a long time. It led to a couple of bad shots early that ended up costing me strokes. Once the frustration of that set in I was able to calm myself down and make some good shots. I found myself a little off on distances at times, partially because I was learning my new discs still and partially because I was learning the course and how the elevation actually affected the supposed distances. With temp tees there was also that aspect of not really being sure of what the distances were. The round felt solid and ultimately I was rewarded with being right in the middle of the pack after the first round.

The second round provided fewer birdie opportunities and an additional par 4 with another combined hole. There was also the addition of another old hole from a previous layout that honestly was not a very interesting hole. The group I played with for this round was filled with people that I have played with before but also say some interesting personality conflicts as well. There were moments of tension and moments of laughter. It was really weird. I had my bad hole on the same par 4 that provided a bad hole for me the first round, only it got worse in the second round. When at the end of the second round I was only two throws worse than the first round I felt pretty good but still think I should have been at least one throw better.

One throw better. That is an interesting phrase as the end result of the tournament. However, it would have provided a very interesting milestone for this disc golf season as much like the previous weekend, one throw made the difference for me. Last weekend, one throw meant the cut a Deer Mountain. One throw here meant missing out on cash (which I would have turned down anyways to maintain my amateur status). Still, this is an accomplishment and continues to show me that a disc change at this point might be a very good thing.

I learned that I have the ability to play well. I learned that I have a lot of room to grow as far as making good decisions consistently on the course is concerned. I learned that I do have the mental capacity to over come even the really bad holes and the stupid bounces that have the tendency to destroy other players. Watching one guy literally blow up during the second round was interesting. Knowing that I could have been there with how I played on a couple of holes makes me feel even better about how I did play. Moving forward I am looking to switch out more discs from my bag and continue to work to maintain my upward movement. Initial round ratings for this tournament are both over 950 and I couldn't be happier to be back at least at that level. It is only a matter of time before I am throwing more 1000 rated rounds like last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment