Friday, May 23, 2014

Teaching The Teachers At Valor With Paige

I have spent some time over the past school year volunteering at Valor Christian High School and had the opportunity to play a round of disc golf with some of the members of their disc golf club. Well, the sponsor of the club asked me to come this past Wednesday and do a clinic at their school for whatever teachers and students showed up. I enlisted the help of my friend Paige Bjerkaas and despite some rain, we had a lot of fun.

It turned out that in the middle of finals week students will back out on their commitments to attend events that are not necessary for their grade, but teachers on the other hand will make the time to do something that isn't related to school. We had two teachers, plus the sponsor, plus one adult friend of the teacher at the clinic and everyone left with things they can do to improve their disc golf game. Paige was a huge help as simply another set of eyes and another voice of reason.

I'll be honest, it was a great time for me to simply relax and enjoy the game. It was a reminder that I really do know what I am doing and that I can play this game well. I am excited to get out and play some rounds with some of the people that came to the clinic as I expect to see a marked improvement in their games in the very near future. I am also looking forward to doing more of this kind of thing. I think this is really where my heart and passion lie in this sport and as much as I would love to become a World Champion some day, I think I might be just as happy saying that I hosted a clinic that helped produce a World Champion someday.

The best news of all is that Paige and I got invited to come back in the fall when school clubs are starting up to do another clinic with hopefully lots of students ready to learn to play disc golf. If you are reading this and you would be interested in a clinic, please feel free to let me know somehow and we will see what we can make happen. If not me I know people and the growth of the game is more important than the growth of my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment