Friday, July 25, 2014

Coming Up Short

Here is the simple truth. I needed a solid round today, merely a -3, on one of the toughest courses I had to play at this years Am Worlds and I came up short. But I didn't just come up short by a little. I failed epically. I went down in flames. I went so far backwards I may as well have started over. And I actually had to mid round.

The funny thing was is that I was throwing some really good shots. Most of them were my thumbers that just seemed to fly through the air with ease. These were also the shots that I haven't had to slow down on recently. See, it seems that I was able to hit more lines when I slowed things down and really focused on jsut that. Oddly enough the slowing down process got going too slow and rather than throwing the disc, I simply just started trying to place my discs out there. Then when I started throwing things again, it was amazing. But then I started throwing too hard and too fast again and took things so far off line at the end that I bogied the last three holes of my round.

I need to learn how to simply find the middle ground. I think I was there earlier at worlds, specifically at the first round and the fourth round. So now it is all about figuring out what my mindset was when I was playing those specific rounds and keep that going.

After my bad round today I went to watch my Colorado Disc Golf family. I talked with my friend Paige about it and I told her that I was honestly glad that I did not do better. If I had been closer and failed to win or make the finals or the semi finals or whatever I would be more inclined to keep my amateur status and play Am Worlds one more time. But now I feel like it is time for me to move on. I have had a blast playing in the amateur divisions, but if my game keeps going the way that it is, I know I am ready for the pros as are much of the people that I have played against this week at Am Worlds.

Now I get to be a spectator, and I am once again looking forward to this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment