Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Settled In Minnesota

Well, it is official. I am in the state of Minnesota. Woke up this morning packed and ready to go. Had my parents pick me up and then off the the airport we went. No major problems getting our bags checked at the curb or getting through security. Thank goodness we could check bags at the curb as the line inside was probably going to be close to an hour or more. Southwest really needs to plan their flights better or find more space to have a line for check-in. I think this might be the first time ever that my bag full of discs did not have something pop up on the screen that security wanted to check out. In the past they have stopped my bag for reusable handwarmers and the inhailer I was using when I had bronchitis. Finding food on the concourse and getting to the gate was easy.

The flight itself was a little interesting. First of all, on Southwest, without assigned seats it becomes rather interesting, especially when there are lots of families that get on early no matter what their boarding position is. By the time I got on the plan and looked throughout the cabin, I had to walk back towards the front of the plane just to find a center seat despite being at the end of their middle section to board the plane. My parents and I ended up separated and all with middle seats. I am pretty sure I am the only person, besides one of the kids that would have had to sit away from their parents, who could have fit in the seat I was in. It wasn't perfect, but it did make for some good prayer and meditation time.

There was some fun turbulance on the flight but for the most part everything in flight was fine. At the airport I am pretty sure that my two checked bags were the last ones to come out. But at least they came out at the same time. Got a rental car that my dad kinda fits in, but this is a normal problem for him to have. Made it to the hotel we are staying at and got a wonderful room. Originally we had reserved a room at the Clarion because it was the host hotel for worlds. After staying there for the Majestic earlier this year, we decided as a family to find another place to say. I am so thankful that we did as I feel completely relaxed, not a feeling I had staying at the Clarion.

I even got out for a practice round today at Oakwood. It was nice not to have to play Oakwood in the rain like I did at the Majestic. But being my first round here in Minnesota for this trip, there was still some adjustment. I actually shot fairly well, but left a lot of strokes out there. I made a few mistakes and missed a few putts that I shouldn't have. It really did feel good to get out and throw a disc on a course that will be part of this worlds experience. Tomorrow is more practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment