Friday, July 11, 2014

Leaving For Am Worlds In 5 Days

You know, the World Championships are a one of a kind tournament in disc golf as well they should be. This will be my third year competing in them and probably my last year in the Am version. I have turned the game around and have been playing well as of late. I have had my preview of the courses I will play and for some odd reason, despite my declining player rating, I feel like this is the time and this is the year that I have a chance to make my best run in this tournament. I hope this isn't a false sense of confidence. I think I am going to take a different approach to blogging about this tournament too. Rather than just doing my typical one post review of the tournament, I think I am going to attempt to blog along the way. I am not sure there will be a lot of anything else to do in the evening besides eat dinner and hang out with my friends that are also making their way out from Colorado.

There is part of me that is a bit bummed about Am worlds right now, but not as you might think. See there was supposed to be a good crowd from Colorado coming out to Minnesota to play. It seems that the more people I talk to who were scheduled to go are now no longer going for one reason or another. Either way I think Colorado will have a good showing this year. What with Colten winning Am Nats, wouldn't it be great to have someone from Colorado win Am Worlds?

My goals for this tournament are simple. I want to finish in the top 72. I want to be in the Semi Finals. I want to play smart and shoot well. I want to last the entire six garunteed rounds without feeling like I have one or two rounds where I faded and did not play my best. I want to play well in the Semis if I make it, the same goes for the finals, but I am not counting on that one. I would love to play nine temp holes at Como Park. It really is one amazing park and I expect there to be a really good crowd watching.

So, I am flying out with my parents in 5 days. From there the plan is to practice all the courses at least once. Field events are the Saturday after we fly out and I am signed up for Skill Shot and Putting. Last year I was able to cash in both of those events so hoeps are high there, especially since I have been putting and scrambling really well as of late.Monday before things start is my day of rest. I may go out and practice putting while walking a course, but that is it. No throwing of discs. Then the real competition begins. Oh what fun.

Pool assignments are not up yet. Last year I was in the A pool to start and nearly stayed there after the shuffle. That was a great experience. I should find out my pool assignment in a couple of days. I am hoping to be in the C pool to start oddly enough. I like the schedule of courses they play the first two days, especially in consideration of the potential weather conditions I found on my weather app. I would also enjoy being in the A pool again. I will probably post about that before taking off on Wednesday. Good luck to all the other competitors, it will be one fun event.

No comments:

Post a Comment